Young Hinkler job seekers among the first to benefit from Work for the Dole

Wednesday, 28 May 2014

Bundaberg and Hervey Bay have been selected for phase one of the Coalition Government’s new Work for the Dole arrangements for young job seekers.

Federal Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt today announced 18 to 30 year olds, who have been unemployed for 12 months or more and receiving Newstart and/or Youth Allowance (other), will be required to Work for the Dole in 2014/15.

He said the first phase of the program would be rolled out in 18 communities across Australia, five of which are in Queensland. The program will be rolled out nationally in 2015.

“I’m extremely pleased Bundaberg and Hervey Bay have been selected. I have been fighting to get this program established in Hinkler, to help address the region’s high unemployment rate,” Mr Pitt said.

“Earlier this year, Assistant Minister for Employment Luke Hartsuyker visited Bundaberg to discuss some of the issues confronting young Hinkler job seekers, and our region more broadly.

“Work for the Dole is an important part of the Government’s plan to help young job seekers gain the skills and experience they need to move from welfare to work.

“The Coalition Government firmly believes that all Australians, who are capable of working, should be working.  They should be earning, learning or Working for the Dole.      

“Work for the Dole was a huge success in Hinkler when it was in place under the Howard Government.”

State Member for Hervey Bay Ted Sorensen said Work for the Dole participants helped build the footpaths and walkways along the town’s picturesque esplanade.

“I was Mayor at the time, and saw firsthand how the program helped build self-confidence and gave participants a sense of achievement,” Mr Sorensen said.

“Many of the participants gained long-term employment as a direct result of their involvement in Work for the Dole.”   

From 1 July 2014 participants will complete around 15 hours per week for six months in a work-like environment.

Local Work for the Dole Coordinators will be appointed, with tenders to be called this week.

Coordinators will have the vital, on-the-ground task of identifying local organisations willing to host a Work for the Dole place, and connecting those organisations with employment-service providers in the area.

Work for the Dole placements will be sourced in not-for-profit organisations, local councils and federal and state government agencies.

From 1 July 2015, when the program is rolled out nationally, all job seekers aged 18 to 30 and in receipt of Newstart Allowance and Youth Allowance (other) will be required to undertake Work for the Dole for 25 hours per week when in receipt of payment.

Further information on the tender for the Work for the Dole Coordinators will be available at www.tenders.gov.au  from May29.

  1. Fairfield, Liverpool (NSW)
  2. Nepean, Outer Western Sydney (including Blue Mountains NSW)
  3. Central Coast (NSW)
  4. Shoalhaven (NSW)
  5. Richmond, Tweed, Clarence Valley (including Ballina and Byron Bay NSW)
  6. Coffs Harbour, Macleay, Hastings (NSW)
  7. Bundaberg (Qld)
  8. Fraser Coast (Qld)
  9. Outer North Brisbane (Qld)
  10. Cairns (Qld)
  11. Logan (Qld)
  12. Westgate (north west Melbourne Vic)
  13. Goulburn Valley (Vic)
  14. Peninsula (south eastern Melbourne Vic)
  15. Geelong (Vic)
  16. Central and West Metro (south west Perth WA)
  17. Northern Adelaide, Gawler (SA)
  18. West and North West, Launceston (Tas)

Media contact: Larine Statham 0427 653 814