MP calls on State Government to commit to Regional Deal

Sunday, 9 June 2019

Federal Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt is calling on the Queensland State Labor Government to open the purse strings and commit to the Hinkler Regional Deal in its Budget.

“The Premier finally came to Bundaberg to try and remind regional Queensland she hasn’t forgotten we exist, but she hand-balled questions about the regional deal to her deputy and treasurer Jackie Trad.

“Here is the Premier and Treasurer’s chance to show they do care about the people that live outside the South-East corner by funding, at a minimum, the State’s share of the road projects in the regional deal,” Mr Pitt said.

Five projects are funded through the Roads of Strategic Importance program which is the Federal Government provides up to 80 percent of funding, with the State Government usually committing the remaining 20 percent.

The road projects in the Hinkler Regional Deal under this program are:

  • $32 million Quay Street bypass to remove heavy vehicles and commuter traffic from this area
  • $8 million for an upgrade of Bargara Road/Princess Street
  • $4 million for overtaking lanes on the Isis Highway between Bundaberg and Childers
  • $24 million to flood-proof Torbanlea Pialba Road
  • $7.7 million to extend Urraween Road through to Boundary Road in Hervey Bay

Mr Pitt said the sooner the State Government committed to not only these five projects, but others including a safety upgrade on the Bruce Highway at Buxton and projects at the Port of Bundaberg, the better.

“The Federal Government’s funding for the Hinkler Regional Deal is locked in and I’d like to see a similar commitment from the State Government.

“I’d like to see the Member for Maryborough support and lobby his Labor government to contribute to the flood proofing of Torbanlea Pialba Road, which will benefit his own constituents.

“We have $10 million for a multi-use conveyer at the Port of Bundaberg and $750,000 pre-feasibility study for Port of Bundaberg outer harbour. Both of these projects could open up the Port of Bundaberg and drive new business and jobs through the port.

“The Hinkler Regional Deal has the ability to transform this region and it has flow-on benefits for the areas outside of the Hinkler electorate. Will the State Government put the regions first for a change?”

#thegov_button_66a14fc1dd439 { color: rgba(255,255,255,1); }#thegov_button_66a14fc1dd439:hover { color: rgba(255,255,255,1); }#thegov_button_66a14fc1dd439 { border-color: transparent; background-color: rgba(0,82,148,1); }#thegov_button_66a14fc1dd439:hover { border-color: transparent; background-color: rgba(255,194,14,1); }