Friday, 22 October 2021
Royal upgrade for Bundaberg’s Princess and Mary Streets intersection
Work is set to start tonight to upgrade the intersection at Bundaberg–Bargara Road (known locally as Princess Street) and Mary Street in Bundaberg.
The jointly funded Road Safety Program works will include road widening to accommodate a right-turn lane, a pedestrian refuge and kerb ramps onto Mary Street.
Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the works complemented other projects in the Bundaberg region.
“This is another important upgrade for Bundaberg-Bargara Road, delivering benefits for the Bundaberg region,” Mr Bailey said.
“Earlier this year, we completed rehabilitation works between Eastgate Street and Hillrose Court to widen shoulders and install turning lanes, which locals are already reaping the safety benefits of.
“Thanks to Queensland’s strong response to COVID-19, we are getting on with delivering the Palaszczuk Government’s record $27.5 billion road and transport plan.”
Federal Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt said that the project will improve traffic flow and safety.
“By eliminating the need for Princess Street traffic to slow down for motorists turning right into Mary Street, the upgrade will reduce the potential for crashes in this high-volume traffic environment,” Mr Pitt said.
“This is another demonstration of the Australian Government’s $3 billion nationwide Road Safety Program in action. The program funding supports the fast roll-out of life-saving safety works on rural and regional roads, to keep our communities safe.”
Member for Bundaberg Tom Smith said works would take four weeks to complete, weather and conditions permitting.
“The Palaszczuk Government is delivering big for the regions, with $17.8 billion invested in regional Queensland,” he said.
“It’s great to see Bundaberg community benefiting from this investment, seeing locals get home safer and sooner.
“Some speed changes or road closures may be required so I think everyone for their patience while we get the job done.”
Funding for the intersection upgrade is part of a $3.79 million package from Tranche 2 of the Federal Road Safety Program (Mass Action) to improve intersection safety and reduce rear-end crashes across the Wide Bay Burnett.
The Australian Government is contributing $3.032 million and the Queensland Government is contributing $758,000.
For more information about this project, phone 1300 728 390 during business hours or email email@example.com
More information on the Australian Government’s road safety investment and initiatives is available at officeofroadsafety.gov.