Meeting to discuss mobile telephone coverage in Hinkler
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Communications Paul Fletcher and Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt today met with residents and businesses in Hervey Bay to discuss mobile coverage blackspots across the region.
In December last year, Hinkler residents were invited to comment on a discussion paper on how to structure the Coalition’s $100 million programme to improve mobile coverage in regional Australia.
Mr Fletcher briefed Bundaberg and Hervey Bay Mayors Mal Forman and Gerard O’Connell, State Member for Hervey Bay Ted Sorenson and Hervey Bay Chamber of Commerce representatives about the $80 million Mobile Network Expansion Project and $20 million Mobile Blackspot Project.
Mr Pitt said local residents, health workers, real estate agents and telecommunications providers also voiced their concerns about mobile coverage issues.
“Inadequate mobile phone coverage is a significant concern for regional communities. Lives can literally depend on accessing mobile phone networks in emergencies, so expanding mobile phone coverage has clear benefits to public safety – as well as to the productive and economic capacity of regional communities like Hinkler,” Mr Pitt said.
Mr Fletcher opted to drive along the Bruce Highway as part of his tour throughout southern and central Queensland.
“I wanted to experience firsthand the many mobile coverage issues along Queensland’s major arterial road,” he said.
While formal submissions closed on February 28, the Department of Communications continues to accept nominations of locations to be included in a database of areas reported to have poor or no mobile coverage. Locations can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Media contact: Larine Statham 0427 653 814