Monday, 21 December 2020
Boost for telecommunications in natural disasters
To help strengthen access to telecommunications in times of natural disasters, two satellites units are being installed at evacuation centres in Bundaberg thanks to Federal Government funding.
Federal Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt said the $8.7 million Strengthening Telecommunications Against Natural Disasters Package will increase the number of temporary emergency network services.
“Our region has had its fair share of natural disasters – the fires last year in Woodgate and multiple floods. Ensuring that our emergency responders – and the community – have reliable access to communications is important and I’m pleased the Australian Government is making this possible.
“There will be two satellite units installed in Bundaberg – one at the Multiplex and the second at the Recreational Precinct.
“By offering broadband connectivity via the Sky Muster satellites, it will help people in evacuation centres stay in contact with families and friends during and after a natural disaster.
“I also recently announced battery back-up for the mobile phone tower at Redridge North to ensure it can keep operating longer if the power goes out during or after natural disasters,” he said.
The Strengthening Telecommunications Against Natural Disasters Package also includes five additional NBN Co Road Muster Trucks and 12 additional Portable Satellite Kits which can been deployed to support communities during emergency events and the recovery process.
The satellite trucks connect to the internet via the NBN Co satellites and provide internet connectivity within 20 metres of the vehicle via wi-fi.
For tips on telecommunications during a natural disaster visit: