Early access to NDIS welcome for Bundaberg

Thursday, 25 May 2017

Federal Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt has welcomed the news that people living with disability in Bundaberg would receive early access to the National Disability Insurance Scheme

The Australian and Queensland Governments today announced they are bringing forward the NDIS start date in the next three Queensland regions to roll out, to make the most of unused capacity in the first Queensland regions to transition to the NDIS.

The start date for existing state clients in Bundaberg has been brought forward to September rather than October 2017. Other eligible people in Bundaberg will begin to enter the scheme from October 2017.

“The NDIS roll out is going well in Queensland so far, but there is capacity to now bring forward access to state clients in the next regions in line,” Mr Pitt said.

“As a result, it’s great news for people in Bundaberg that they will benefit from this earlier than expected roll out of the NDIS.

“The NDIS is one of the largest social policy reforms in Australia’s history – it is already empowering Queenslanders with disability, helping them fulfil their aspirations and participate in community life.

The number of people receiving disability support in the Bundaberg region is forecast to grow from 1500 to 3300 and more than 600 jobs are expected to be created in the Bundaberg region.

“Across Queensland, people are excited about the start of the NDIS and the impact it will have on their lives. I am delighted to help people in Bundaberg will have access to the NDIS sooner than expected,” Mr Pitt said.

Full details of the early access to NDIS in Queensland are available here:

http://christianporter.dss.gov.au/media-releases/queensland-regions-get-early-access-to-the-ndis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *